Ham and Spinach Croque Monsieur Casserole
Add this delicious, satisfying casserole to your weekend brunch menu
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 pkg (5 oz) baby spinach
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 12 slices day-old crusty bread, about 1/2-inch thick
- 15 slices Artisan Crafted Series , thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- White Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion and thyme for about 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle in flour. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until bubbling.
- Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Bring to boil; cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Casserole: Meanwhile, heat butter in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook spinach, salt and pepper for 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach is just wilted. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 8-inch square baking dish; spread 1/4 cup sauce evenly in bottom of baking dish. Layer 6 overlapping slices of bread in baking dish. Arrange spinach and ham evenly over bread; spread with 1/4 cup sauce. Repeat with remaining bread and sauce; sprinkle Gruyère cheese over top.
- Cover tightly with foil; bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake about 15 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on top. Let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.
For an over-the- top brunch menu, turn this Croque Monsieur casserole into a Croque Madame by serving each portion with a fried egg on top.
|(Per ⅛ recipe)|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|